Rogers Pre-K Curriculum
(Meets approved Arkansas Better Chance for School Success (ABCSS) curriculum requirement)
Curriculum Goals and Objectives:
Sense of Self
- Shows ability to adjust to new situations.
- Demonstrates appropriate trust in adults.
- Recognizes own feelings and manages them appropriately.
- Stands up for rights.
Responsibility for Self and Others
- Demonstrates self-direction and independence.
- Takes responsibility for own well being.
- Respects and cares for classroom environment and materials.
- Follows classroom routines.
- Follows classroom rules.
- Plays well with other children.
- Recognizes the feelings of others and responds appropriately.
- Shares and respects the rights of others.
- Uses thinking skills to resolve conflicts.
Area of Development II: Physical Development
- Demonstrates basic locomotor skills (running, jumping, hopping, galloping).
- Shows balance while moving.
- Climbs up and down.
- Pedals and steers a tricycle (or other wheeled vehicle).
- Demonstrates throwing, kicking, and catching skills.
- Controls small muscles in hands.
- Coordinates eye-hand movement.
- Uses tools for writing and drawing.
Area of Development III: Cognitive Development
Learning and Problem Solving
- Observes objects and events with curiosity.
- Approaches problems flexibly.
- Shows persistence in approaching tasks.
- Explores cause and effect.
- Applies knowledge or experience to a new context.
- Classifies objects.
- Arranges objects in a series.
- Recognizes patterns and can repeat them.
- Shows awareness of time concepts and sequence.
- Shows awareness of position in space.
- Uses one-to-one correspondence.
- Uses numbers and counting.
Representation and Symbolic Thinking
- Takes on pretend roles and situations.
- Makes believe with objects.
- Makes and interprets representations.
Area of Development IV: Language Development
Listening and Speaking
- Hears and discriminates the sounds of language.
- Expresses self using words and expanded sentences.
- Understands and follows oral directions.
- Answers Questions.
- Asks Questions.
- Actively participates in conversations.
Reading and Writing
- Enjoys and values reading.
- Demonstrates understanding of print copies.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the alphabet.
- Uses emerging reading skills to make meaning from print.
- Comprehends and interprets meaning from books and other texts.
- Understands the purpose of writing.
- Writes letters and words.